Planning a sailing holiday? Great, but not so fast! There are two important things you should consider before traveling. Firstly, You need to be able to store your bag easily in the cupboard as the storage on a boat is quite restricted, and secondly, you need to keep your stuff dry! The solution for this is to use a good quality waterproof bag that is easy to carry, to fold and that protect all your belongings from the water. Here is a review of the 14 best waterproof Duffel bags so you can sail in complete comfort and tranquility!
Table of Content
- 1. The North Face Base Camp Duffel
- 2. Patagonia Black Hole Duffel
- 3. Kwik Tek Dry Pak Waterproof Duffel Bag
- 4. OverBoard Waterproof Duffel Bag
- 5. DuffelSak Waterproof Duffel Bags
- 6. Watershed Chattooga Duffel bag
- 7. NRS HighRoll DriDuffel
- 8. Mad Water Waterproof USA Duffel Bag
- 9. Ortlieb 85L Duffel
- 10. Filson Unisex Dry Medium Duffel
- 11. Leader Accessories Deluxe Water Resistant
- 12. Eagle Creek, CargoHauler Duffel
- 13. Aqua Quest White Water Duffel Bag
- 14.Thule Chasm Duffel Bag
- How to Choose the Right Duffel
- When is the Best Time to Buy a Duffel Bag
- Waterproof vs. Water Resistant
- Why Should You Get A Waterproof Duffel Bag
- Who is the Waterproof Duffel Bags For
- Where to Buy Waterproof Duffel Bags
- In Conclusion
1. The North Face Base Camp Duffel
The North Face Base Camp Duffel bag is well known for its exceptional qualities in all category especially for its ease of use and for its durability. The Base Camp is among the lightest Duffel bags and is designed in such a way that it can be carried as a handbag or as a backpack thanks to its padded straps.
Designed with travel in mind, the Base Camp features a zipper mesh pocket, compression straps, small windows for important info, and several grab points. Whether it is a trip on the water, a stay at the beach, or any travel type, the Base Camp bag will offer you comfort and maximum protection for your belongings.
Average Rank: 4.6 out of 5
- The Base Camp has a pack carrying system allowing you to throw the bag easily on your back and inversely if needed.
- Due to its D-shaped opening, it makes it easy to get inside the bag
- Excellent water resistant fabric
- Comfortable detachable shoulder straps
- Easy to lash on any objects
- Rugged and Strong Zippers
- Extremely robust and durable product
- Comes in many colors and many sizes options
- Plenty of storages
- It is one of the lightest Duffel bags, but it is not the lightest one
- The zipper may be a bit hard at first but will break in after using it for a while
2. Patagonia Black Hole Duffel
The Patagonia Black Hole Duffel is the lightest among all duffel bags and is one of the best in every category. Its lightweight snapped carry handles, and its removable shoulder straps make the Black Hole a comfortable and easy bag to carry.
In addition to its ease of use, Black Hole features extra organizational pockets such as a couple of zippered mesh pockets on the inside to store small items.
What is nice about Patagonia is that the bottom is well padded. This feature provides more stability for packing, and also keep all your belonging well secured. The Black Hole is super water resistant and durable thanks to its polyester and TPU laminate fabric. This Duffel bag is stylish, and it can be completely flattened into its own carrying bag, which makes it easier to fold and store in the cupboard!
- The extra lash points allow attaching it easily on whatever you wish to.
- It features extra inside and external mesh pockets to keep small items well organized.
- Awesome water-resistant fabric
- Extremely lightweight
- Incredibly strong and durable
- Easily detachable shoulder straps.
- Comes on wheels as well.
- Stylish looking bag
- Contains sets of carrying straps
- Comes in multiple sizes
- Have fewer choices of colors than other Duffel Bags.
3. Kwik Tek Dry Pak Waterproof Duffel Bag
What’s great about the Kwik Tek Dry Pak is that it features removable padded shoulder straps, making this bag extremely comfortable to carry. All zippered duffel bags are water resistant, but this model offers top quality water protection due to its incredible material made of flexible fiber vinyl.
Apart from being comfy and easy to use, it also has a handy zippered pocket with flaps on each side allowing to store items like sunglasses or other small stuff. If you need to store a lot of things, then this bag is an excellent choice. Its wide mouth opening offers you the possibility to pack comfortably.
The lips of the mouth are held together by a strip of Velcro, and there is a thick plastic band placed on one of the lips to roll the bag more easily. Additionally, the rigid plastic with drain rolls situated in the bottom of the bag keep its shape and protect it from any perforation.
This is a roll down bag, and there is no zipper closure on the top. It closes by rolling the top down several times to prevent the water penetrate inside, then attached with four snap buckles, two of them are situated in the center and the other two, on each extremity of the bag.
Average Rank: 4.5 out of 5
- High-quality bag at an excellent price
- It is a huge bag with plenty of space to store anything you wish.
- Superb material and smartly designed
- High-quality waterproof bag
- Great flap enclosure system
- Extremely practical for extended trips
- Sturdy and durable construction
- You can shrink the bag by rolling it if you do not need to use the entire bag.
- Easy to pack and unpack
- There are no pockets inside the bag
- Because it is a huge bag, some can find it bulky while others will just love it!
- The stiff plastic on the bottom may make it hard to fold the bag
- The zipped pockets are water resistant and not waterproof
4. OverBoard Waterproof Duffel Bag
The OverBoard Waterproof Duffel is also a roll down bag which means that you need to roll it down a few times to close it properly. The closing system of this bag is very similar to the one listed above “Kwik Tek Dry Pak Waterproof Duffel Bag” The Overbroad provides a high level of waterproofness and allows you also to access easily to your gear thanks to its large mouth opening.
This bag features interior and exterior zip pockets, reflective strips on each end of the bag, and removable shoulder straps. The Overboard is a high-quality bag made of PVC tarpaulin which is bonded to a cotton shell and outer nylon. This bag is excellent for sailing trips, kayaking, and any outdoor activities.
Average Rank: 4.3 out of 5
- The shoulder straps make this bag easy to carry
- Great inner pockets to keep the gear organized
- Very strong and durable material
- Good looking bag
- Comfortable to roll and unroll
- Extremely spacious and bright
- Very easy to fold and to stow
- Comes in many sizes
- No rigid bottom support the bag
- The extra pockets may be useless if the bag is entirely packed
- There are not wide choices of colors
5. DuffelSak Waterproof Duffel Bags
The DuffelSak Waterproof bag is made of a PVC exterior, high-frequency welded seams, and a secure roll-down top. This helps completely seal out rain, snow, sand, mud or dust. Designed with 2 inner zippered pockets and 2 exterior zippered pockets, the bag makes it easier for you to organize your gear as well as enjoy quick access to ID, keys and other small items. The DuffelSak presents two choices of size: a 40 or 60-liter interior.
Average Rank: 4.7 out of 5
- Extremely waterproof design and water-tight roll down top
- Easy to carry with its 2 sturdy handles and adjustable shoulder straps
- Sturdy tie-down points, making fastening to bike, boat, etc easier
- Splash-proof outer pockets that allow for safe storage and retrieval of ID, keys and other items
- Attached handles feature Velcro padded grip
- Offers two excellent bag size options
- Side buckles have been placed too high, with no zipper or Velcro close to it
- There are only two D-rings; four could do great
6. Watershed Chattooga Duffel bag
This is a 1,800 cubic inch duffel bag that features a ZipDry waterproof closure that allows you to submerge it up to a depth of 300 feet. The rugged carrying handles in combination with multiple hard lash points and compression straps ensure that the bag stays secured in addition to allowing you to attach equipment. The duffel bag material is made of polyurethane-coated nylon, giving it more durability as well as resistance to UV rays and chemicals it may be exposed to. It is also completely airtight, which keeps moisture and odors from building up in the bag. The Chattooga comes in a range of colors, including black, blue, camo, orange, coyote, and clear.
Average Rank: 4.6 out of 5
- It is large enough to fit several items of considerable sizes at a time
- It is quite versatile and can be used for a number of activities, from a sizable first aid kit on an expedition to a blind bag for duck hunting activities.
- The Chattooga is able to stay dry even after being submerged for an extended period of time.
- The construction of the bag is of high quality, making it durable
- Some customers consider the bag to be overpriced.
7. NRS HighRoll DriDuffel
This duffel bag by NRS is made from 21 ounce PVC/polyester body that is heavy duty, allowing you to bring it along to rugged outdoor expeditions since it can handle the wear and tear. You can effectively seal moisture out of the bag with the fold-down StormStrip closure mechanism. All you have to do is fold the top of the bag not less than three times, and then proceed to hook the fittingly durable aluminum fasteners through the loops you will find on the sides of the duffel bag. Cinch down to increase pressure on the seal in order to keep the items you store in the bag as dry as possible. Another outstanding feature is the webbing chain attachment points that you can use to secure a variety of items on the bag. The bag comes in two colors, which are flint and red.
Average Rank: 5 out of 5
- It is suitable for wet environments since it is effective in sealing out moisture and keeping items dry.
- The bag is durable thanks to the tough material used to construct the bag.
- You can easily attach more items on the attachment points provided on the bag.
- The variety in color is limited, with only two currently available.
8. Mad Water Waterproof USA Duffel Bag
As suggested by the name, this duffel bag is waterproof, allowing you to submerge it to a depth of 3 meters. Additionally, the zipper also has waterproof properties, effectively preventing water from penetrating the bag and damaging your gear. The bag is made of double-coated polyurethane that is PVC free which makes it durable even in rugged conditions. Additionally, the material is also resistant to direct sunlight, chemicals, cold conditions, and abrasion. It is available in three sizes (90, 65, and 30 liters), hence you can use them for a variety of functions. The webbing handles are made of nylon and are designed to allow you to carry the bag like a backpack whenever you need to. The bag also features D-rings that you can use to attach your any extra you might have. In the two larger sizes, you will find a mesh zipper pocket within the bag where you can store your wallet and keys.
Average Rank: 5 out of 5
- The bag is completely waterproof, managing to stay dry even when submerged in water.
- The long straps allow you to carry the bag like a backpack
- You can attach other items to the bag using the plastic D-rings
- The material used in making the bag is durable and resistant to a variety of weather conditions as well as chemicals.
- There is no variety in color since it only comes in matte black.
- It can get dirt marks rather easily.
9. Ortlieb 85L Duffel
This versatile duffel bag incorporates a waterproof TIZIP zipper so that when you completely zip up the bag, water cannot penetrate it. You can submerge the bag up to a meter depth for a little over half an hour and your gear will still be dry when you retrieve it. In addition to being water-resistant, the PD620 fabric of the bag is also durable and resistant to abrasion and tear. You can easily carry this bag like a backpack using the padded handles, and its internal straps effectively compress the volume.
Average Rank: 5 out of 5
- The Ortlieb 85L bag can be used for various purposes, from using it as a backpack on an expedition to a day out on your kayak.
- It is waterproof, effectively keeping your items dry in wet environments.
- It is suitable for long-term use due to its durability
- It can be converted into a backpack by carrying it on your back using the padded handles.
- It only comes in a sun yellow-black color.
- The plastic hooks used to clip down the zipper to the outer surface of the bag may easily pop open.
10. Filson Unisex Dry Medium Duffel
This duffel bag incorporates 15-ounce oil finish tin cloth as well as lining made from 6-ounce dry finish cover cloth lining and saddle-grade bridle leather reinforcements, which makes it suitable for long-term use. It also features a main compartment where you can store most of your items, an interior pocket where you can keep your wallet and keys, and two outer pockets for extra storage. The shoulder strap is made from cotton webbing and is removable and adjustable.
Average Rank: 4.4 out of 5
- The bag is durable due to the tough material used in construction
- The adjustable shoulder strap makes it easier to carry the bag at varying weights
- The bag comes with a number of pockets for maximum storage and organization of your items.
- Some customers have raised an issue with the size, claiming it is too small despite its medium size.
11. Leader Accessories Deluxe Water Resistant
The Leader Access Deluxe duffel bag is made from marine-grade vinyl and features high-frequency welded construction. Its seams are waterproof and heat sealed something that protects your items or stuff from dirt, dust, rain, and snow.
This assures you of solid protection against any conceivable circumstance, except in cases where the bag is completely submerged in water. This heavy-duty duffel bag also comes with twin haul handles on the ends plus padded and adjustable shoulder straps for added comfort for when carrying it at full load.
It is reasonably large in term of size, allowing you to bundle in enough stuff when going on a sailing tour, camping trip or weeklong biking tours. Perhaps as its name suggests, it might be a leader in the water-resistant duffel options available in the market right now.
Average Rank: 4.0 out of 5
- Solidly-built waterproof bag at a decent price
- Heavy duty construction and durable materials capable of withstanding rough usage
- Comes with high-frequency welded seams
- Twin haul handles and padded adjustable backpack straps make it more comfortable to carry
- Includes an ID pocket in the top
- Extremely easy to clean and store away
- Water can still infiltrate the bag through the zipper when the flap is lifted even a little
- Considering its heavy duty construction, it can be heavy to carry when fully loaded
12. Eagle Creek, CargoHauler Duffel
The Eagle Creek Cargo-Hauler is as durable as it is water resistant. That is all thanks to its BI-Tech ArmorLite poly fabric construction that features bartack reinforcement on all stress points, which also ensures a high strength-to-weight ratio.
The duffel bag, which boasts of 60l capacity, allows you to carry it in three options: using its backpack straps (removable), side grab handle or its top haul handles. With lockable exterior zippers and contain and thoughtful finger loop-pulls, you can conveniently access the inside of the bag, even when wearing gloves.
Storing the Eagle Creek duffel is easy as all you need to do is roll and stash the in front-end zippered compartment. It further features a U-shaped lid, making it effortless to access the main compartment and stacking of stuff like clothes, gear or shoes easier.
Average Rank: 4.3 out of 5
- Made of ultra-light yet durable Bi-Tech Armor Fabric material
- Contains perfect zipper flaps to minimize any chances of water infiltrating the bag
- Offers great versatility when it comes to carrying it
- Comes with 10 lockable water-resistant zippers
- Features a compartment that allows for easy stashing stuff
- No compression straps hence bigger footprint when on large group expeditions
- No sternum, shoulder and hip strap, which makes carrying the bag cumbersome when fully loaded
13. Aqua Quest White Water Duffel Bag
Another waterproof duffel bag in the market that’s worth looking at is the Aqua Quest White. This bag is 100 percent waterproof, allowing not an iota of rain, snow, dust, dirt or sand to penetrate through it.
It’s also made from a combination of 420D RipStop fabric, TPU lamination, DWR coating, welded seams, and double bar-tacked stress points. These materials are not just incredibly lightweight but also extremely durable.
The Aqua Quest further boasts of 2 external rubberized mesh pockets for easy access of small items and separate storage of wet and dry items. Lastly, the duffel bag comes with extra strong webbing loops on the bottom, allowing for an easy attachment to motorbikes, vehicles, boats, racks, etc.
Average Rank: 4.4 out of 5
- Superb waterproof construction
- Lightweight and abrasion-resistant material
- Padded grab handle and adjustable shoulder straps make it comfortable to carry
- Mesh pockets and mesh loops make it versatile in terms of carrying and storing stuff
- Offers ample storage space
- Perhaps the only downside is that it might be a little expensive
14.Thule Chasm Duffel Bag
Made from durable and waterproof tarpaulin fabric, Thule Chasm bag protects contents against harsh weather and environmental elements, all while allowing for different ways of carrying it. The bag’s well thought-out internal mesh pocket design allows you to keep gear perfectly organized and contained. With the duffel’s lockable and zippered side pockets, it is easier to keep small items secure and within reach.
Further, its padded bottom helps protect gear from the ground while the external compression straps restrain the contents from falling when carrying the bag in backpack mode. Access to contents is also made easier, thanks to the oversized, wide mouth opening. With such a versatile duffle design, there’s more to benefit from this waterproof bag.
Average Rank: 4.8 out of 5
- Weather resistant bag design perfect for any adventure
- Offers practically in stacking and unpacking with its wide, oversized mouth opening
- Straps can easily and quickly convert the bag from duffel to a backpack and vice versa
- External compression straps ensure your items remain intact even in backpack mode
- Padded bottom cushions your items and gear from the ground
- Comes with exterior stash pockets for convenient storage of small items
- Duffel straps can be stowed cleanly along the side of the bag
Has a small capacity (40l), which might restrict the amount of hand luggage you carry
How to Choose the Right Duffel
Material & Durability
To ensure maximum protection against water, dirt, and tears, you need a high-quality Waterproof Duffel Bags made of stiff and durable materials. Here is a small list of the most common fabrics used in the waterproof Duffel bags.
- Polyurethane coated
- Marine-grade vinyl
- Dernier ripstop nylon
- TPU laminated
These fabrics are waterproof, thick, lightweight and extremely durable. However, nylon turns out to be less water resistant than the polyurethane. Both materials are remarkable, but the polyurethane with TPU laminated fabrics are much stronger.
Ease of Packing
Packing is an important factor not to overlook. You want to be able to pack and organize your gear with ease. Also, you need quick access to search for items inside. Therefore bags that feature a D-shape opening like the “North Face Base Camp Duffel” or a roll down bag like the “Kwik Tek Dry Pak Waterproof Duffel” are better than models with straight zippers.
These allow you to see better and also let you get in and out of the bag easily. Some extra pockets are always a plus when it comes to storing small stuff! The more pockets, the better! So make sure there are enough pockets and that they are easily accessible too. The length is also crucial if you need to store long items such as walking sticks or any similar outdoor gear.
No matter if it’s for walking long or short distances with your bag. You would want it to be pleasant for you to hold it. That’s why straps is a detail not to overlook when buying a Duffel. With proper straps, you should be able to carry the bag either as a handbag, over your shoulder, or on your back comfortably.
Some Duffel bags do not possess backpack straps, which can be annoying especially if the bag is heavily loaded and doesn’t feature wheels to drag it. However, make sure the straps are well padded and adjustable so that you can fix it to the size you want.
Removable straps can come in handy if for any reason you prefer to take them off. It should always be easy to remove them. Some bags allow you to store the straps in the bag without the needs to remove them.
Compressing straps and lashing points are extremely useful if you want to attach it to a vehicle. The best Duffel bags are those that offer many portability options. Being able to pull out or drag the bag easily from a car or bus or whatever, is very practical.
So it is highly recommended to choose models that feature grab loops at each extremity of the bag. The most convenient way to carry a bag is on your back because it leaves your hands free and also the weight is much better distributed across your body.
In one word, the backpack models are much easier to carry than the models without backstraps!
Weight is also an important factor to consider, especially if you travel abroad. Many airlines today have a carry-on weight limit of 50 pounds and size restriction as well. The Duffel bags are exceptional for traveling because they are spacious and they usually weigh lighter than many other bags in the same category. This is one of the reasons why this Brand is so popular around the world!
Care & Maintenance
Bags are often thrown and dragged on the floor, therefore are more prone to getting dirty. So if you buy, or, already have a Duffel, you may want to know how to clean it. It is not recommended to wash a Duffel bag in a washing machine because it could damage its imperméabilité.
But if you do so, make sure to set up on a gentle hand wash program cycle. However, clean your Duffel with a scrub brush and liquid detergent inside out, then dry it on both sides. When the bag is completely dry, treat your bag with a waterproofing spray only on the outside of the bag.
When is the Best Time to Buy a Duffel Bag
You can use a Duffel at any time of the year and bring it anywhere you want. Just make sure the model you choose is waterproof, especially if you plan to expose it to water. It is important to protect all your gear and keep them dry. Also, these bags can be used for outdoor activities or indoor recreational sports as well. You can enjoy your Duffel all year long!
Waterproof vs. Water Resistant
Although, you might be surprised how water resistant Duffel bags can keep your gear dry, even if exposed to snow or water thanks to its durable material.
Of course, waterproof would be a better choice if you plan to ride a motorcycle in heavy rain or go on a sailing trip. So, when opting for a Duffel, pay close attention to this detail to avoid unpleasant surprises.
Another important thing you should be aware of is that not all duffel bags feature waterproof zippers, some of them are water-resistant, which may let the water get inside.That’s why roll down closure systems are excellent for water sports activity, the bag is well secured and there is no way water will enter the bag. Also, you don’t have to worry about the zipper!
Why Should You Get A Waterproof Duffel Bag
The Duffel bags are excellent for outdoor activities as well as for traveling! Whether it is for camping, sailing, sport, motorcycle or even for everyday use, the Duffel bags will protect all your gear.
Additionally, they are simple to use when it comes to packing, unpacking and organizing gear thanks to their wide opening. Plus, they are made of a robust and light material, making them stronger and lighter than other bags in the same type.
Who is the Waterproof Duffel Bags For
Duffel bags are for anyone who wants to protect all the gear while enjoying water sport or traveling. They are lightweight and are heavy duty built, allowing heavy loads without worrying about ripping the bag.
Where to Buy Waterproof Duffel Bags
Duffel bags are available in offline sportswear stores or online. The most advantageous way to purchase Duffel bags is online. There are several reasons for this. First, prices are lower since there is no need to hire salespeople to sell the product, making the price more attractive. Second, you can make the purchase 24/7; stores are always open! And lastly, online stores have the capacity to sell a higher quantity of products, allowing them to reduce prices.
- High-quality material, protecting all your gear from water and dirt.
- Extremely spacious, making it easier for you to pack and store all your belonging.
- Lighter than any other bags in the same type, allowing you to carry them comfortably.
- Extremely flexible, giving you the possibility to squeeze the bag and store it in a small compartment.
- Most zippers are water resistant and not waterproof.
- Since the Duffel bags are huge, some people may find them bulky.
Duffel is the name of a town in Belgium where the bags were originally made. Yep, chocolate, beer, and chips are not the only things that Belgium does exceptionally well!
The Duffel bags are not only ideal for protecting your gear against water but also for storing camping and outdoor equipment!
There are many waterproof duffel bags on the market, and the ones that are listed in the article are the best rated. Which one of these bags is the best? To be honest with you, this will depend on your personal preferences. Everyone’s tastes are different! But if you wish to know what is my favorite one, without a doubt, it is Kwik Tek Dry Pak Waterproof Duffel Bag. Why? Because I love the D-shape opening and its carrying system, it makes it easier for me to pack, carry and store all my stuff in it!
What is your favorite Duffel bag? Feel free to share it in the comment below
AMAZON AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE
Cruising Sea is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com