Dressing for a boat party is different than any other kind of event. While you have good times, you need to look great and most importantly, feel comfortable in your clothing. Also, you need to take some safety precautions into consideration as boats have unpredictable movements. After all, you want to have an exceptional time! Most yacht events take place in the summer, so you need to dress accordingly to the weather. What will be your event about? A Day party? A night party? In this article, you will find out exactly what to wear to a yacht party.
Table of Content
Most parties are held during the day. You will probably spend most of your time enjoying dancing on the deck with a cocktail in your hand or swimming in the water, so you need an attire comfortable to wear and easy to pull on/off!
- Choose a swimsuit or a bikini to wear under your clothes. Make sure to pick a color that suits your attire.
- A flowy dress, short skirt, airy beach pants, or a short over your swimsuit will be perfect for this kind of party. You can also match them with a summary layer or a loose blouse.
- As for the shoes, flat sandals with soft soles will get you out of trouble. High heels are an absolute no-no as they are not safe on a boat and can scratch the deck.
- You should be wearing sunglasses during the day, but not just any, you need polarized sunglasses to protect 100% your eyes from the UV rays of the sun
- Try to store your stuff like sunglasses, makeup, and hair clips in a waterproof handbag. It could be useful if it gets wet!
Use only waterproof makeup during the day
- Opt for a tight swimsuit if you plan to wear it under your cloth. Otherwise, there are stylish good looking swimwears that look more like dress shorts, which you can match with loose shirts and a light jacket
- The most appropriate clothes for men are loose pants, Bermuda and, jean shorts assorted with light shirts, or polo and a loose vest.
- Avoid flip-flops and opt for nonmarking boating shoes, like Sperry. These come in a wide variety of styles to choose from and will match any outfit. With these shoes, you can walk in complete tranquility without worrying about hurting your feet or slipping on the wet deck.
- Opt only for a waterproof watch if you intend to wear one. You don’t want to bother taking it off, and on each time you go for a swim.
- As mentioned for women above, the same concept applies to men. A good pair of polarized sunglasses is a must!
In the evening, you can still wear casual clothes but a bit more dressy.
The thin, soft, and flowy textile is more appropriate for night parties.
Bring a light jacket with you. It gets cooler in the evening.
- Princess waist dresses, skirt with flounces, loose pants assorted with dressy tops are the perfect choices. A chic option will be to wear a color-coordinated wrap or a jacket.
A long dress harmonized with a nice pair of chandelier earrings is a great option if you opt to dress chicly
- Here, again, avoid high heels. Flats and low-heeled sandals will be perfect and will suit any outfit.
- Men should wear comfortable pants with a dress shirt or even a polo, and a light jacket on top.
- I will say it again, the best shoes to wear on a boat is Sperry, but hey, this is your party, you can pick any other type of boat shoes as long as they are non-marking.
- Girls, even if high heels elongate your legs and make you more attractive. It is preferable to avoid wearing them on a boat. Opt for boating shoes!
- Mosquitoes love humidity, especially in the late afternoon. You should bring a repellent with you. You Never know.
- Try to use only waterproof accessories
- The sun beat down during the day, bring sunscreen and wear long sleeves to protect you from the sun
- You can wear long dresses but not too long to avoid tripping.
- If you are unsure about the type of party, ask the person that organizes the event on the yacht what is and not appropriate.
- It’s easy to get dehydrated on a yacht because you don’t feel the sun as you are most of the time in the water or on the deck and at sea, there are always winds. PS, wear a hat and drink a lot of water!
Now that you know how to dress for a day and night party on a yacht, all you need to do is having a good time!
Want to Know More about Dress Code?
Subscribe to Cruising Sea newsletter to receive every two-week the latest post straight to your inbox!
What about you? Have you been to a yacht party? If so, feel free to share your experience in the comment below.
Daniella has been passionate about travel, the sea, and nature for many years. As a child, she frequently traveled throughout the Mediterranean and continued with her journeys throughout her adult life.
Her experiences have created the desire within her to share her love for traveling with other passionate and adventurers who want to discover beautiful horizons and new cultures.